Sectors of Practice
Michael J. Hughes is a seasoned professional with considerable and varied experience in labour relations. He has practiced labour and employment law with two of western Canada’s leading firms representing and advising large, sophisticated employer clients. That experience was rounded out by advocacy on behalf of employees in a role as representative/counsel for Alberta’s largest union, namely, the Alberta Union of Provincial Employees.
Michael approaches labour relations with the unique and balanced perspective of having worked for and with both management and union clients in both the private and public sector, and has experience in each the various fundamental activities that make up LR, including:
- Acting as nominee and counsel in labour arbitration;
- Acting as lead negotiator in collective bargaining;
- Representing parties in Labour Relations Board proceedings;
- Representing parties in essential services negotiations;
- Providing proactive advice regarding labour/employment legislative compliance in complex unionized environments;
- Acting as Manager of Labour Relations for a sophisticated employer with multiple collective agreements, numerous unions and cross-provincial operations; and
- Acting as conciliator/mediator under various collective agreements’ alternative dispute resolution mechanisms.
ADR Training & Qualifications
Other Professional Qualifications
Bachelor of Laws, University of Alberta
Master of Laws, University of Toronto