Alberta Human Rights Commission Tribunal Members
Type of Position
January 24, 2024.
Alberta Human Rights Commission
Competition #: 805
Opening Date: 01/11/2024
Closing Date: 01/24/2024
Role: Tribunal Members
The Minister of Justice is seeking applications from individuals interested in serving as Part-time Members of the Commission of the Alberta Human Rights Commission
All Members of the Tribunal appointed under the Act must possess a law degree, and have experience, knowledge and training in human rights or administrative law.
Candidates must be eligible for membership with the Law Society of Alberta.
Offices are in Edmonton and Calgary. Members of the Commission must be resident in any area of Alberta.
The ideal candidate’s background includes:
· Previous tribunal and/or court experience in a decision-making capacity such as adjudicator, mediator or board solicitor, or practice before board or court.
· Demonstrated knowledge of human rights and administrative law gained in an academic environment, courts or tribunals.
· Demonstrated ability to write clearly and concisely. Experience in drafting decision documents is preferred.
· Demonstrated mediation skills, preferably in a statutory rights-based environment.
· Experience conducting hearings in an administrative law context (ie. hearing preparation, adjudication, decision making and decision writing), including knowledge of evidence and procedural fairness.
· Knowledge and understanding of issues affecting diverse communities.
· Ability to meet the Commission’s service standards on releasing decisions on time; for hearings on the merits, for written appeals and interim applications.
· Availability to act as chair in hearing, TDR, or decision writing for a minimum of 60 days per year.
Appointments are made by an Order in Council of the Lieutenant Governor in Council for a specified term. Part-time Tribunal Members are paid honoraria pursuant to Schedule 1, Part A of the Committee Remuneration Order (OC 466/2007):
A member of a committee, other than the chair, shall be paid:
· $164 for up to and including four hours in any day, or
· $290 for over four hours and up to and including eight hours in any day, or
· $427 for over eight hours in any day, spent on the business of the committee.
The chair or person acting as the chair of a committee shall be paid:
· $219 for up to and including four hours in any day, or
· $383 for over four hours and up to and including eight hours in any day, or
· $601 for over eight hours in any day, spent on the business of the committee.
The mediator or chair of a Tribunal panel will be reimbursed at the chair rate noted above.
Travel expenses will be paid in accordance with the Government of Alberta’s Travel, Meal and Hospitality Expenses Directive.
Candidates should be available for a minimum of 60 days per year as a Chair of a hearing, TDR, or decision writing. Additional days may be required for Tribunal meetings and training.
Candidates should be able to travel throughout the province as required.
Please note: This ad will close on January 24, 2024.
The posting may be used to fill current and future public agency vacancies.
In addition to your cover letter and resume, we require a biography.
It is recommended that applicants include the assessment certificate from IQAS or any other educational assessment service as part of their application.
For more information please visit: https://public-agency-list.alberta.ca/PublicAgencyOpportunityList/GetOpportunityById?opportunityId=805