Alberta Human Rights Commission – Director
Edmonton or Calgary
Type of Position
December 22, 2023
Alberta Human Rights Commission
Competition #: 796
Opening Date: 2023/11/28
Closing Date: 2023/12/22
The Minister of Justice is seeking applications from individuals interested in serving as the Director for
the Alberta Human Rights Commission.
The Director makes reviewable decisions to screen complaints to be dismissed or referred to the Tribunal.
The Director instructs legal counsel on unique and complex human rights issues being heard by the
Tribunal and the courts. The Director oversees the case management and resolution of human rights
complaints representing the public interest before the human rights tribunal and the courts. Reporting to
the Chief of the Commission and Tribunals, the Director supports the Chief in providing leadership and
direction for the administration of the Commission. The Director requires a legal background to interpret
the Human Rights Act and other legislative authorities, to issue legal reasons for screening decisions, and
to lead the team of lawyers who advance complaints to hearing. The Director is directly responsible for
senior managers who oversee approximately 30 full time equivalencies. The Director oversees the budget
and operational planning for the Director’s office.
Skills and Experience Required
The ideal candidate’s background includes:
- A demonstrated knowledge of administrative law. They will have a strong understanding of
human rights, including the Alberta Human Rights Act, knowledge of the justice system, human
rights jurisprudence, and the rules of natural justice and procedural fairness.
- Senior leadership experience with demonstrated strengths overseeing corporate administrative
functions and managing diverse teams in a complex environment.
- Exceptional management skills, sound judgement, the ability to work collaboratively and make
fair and independent decisions.
- Knowledge in financial and operational planning.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- A Bachelor of Laws (LLB) or Juris Doctor (JD) is required.
- A minimum of eleven years legal experience following admission to the bar in a Canadian
jurisdiction and be eligible for membership with the Law Society of Alberta.
Final candidates will be asked to undergo a comprehensive background check, disclosure and conflict of interest screening.
- The Director of the Alberta Human Rights Commission is a full-time contract position. The salary for the position is $8,313.36 to $9,502.54 bi-weekly ($216,978 – $248,016 annually).
- This position can be located in either Edmonton or Calgary and provides leadership to office in Edmonton and Calgary.
- For more information please visit: https://public-agencylist.alberta.ca/PublicAgencyOpportunityList/GetOpportunityById?opportunityId=796